Monday, March 3, 2014

Baby Joshua

Photographing newborns can be a great challenge, they move all
over, cry and sleep half the time. Joshua, however, was a delight to photograph
because he was calm and loved looking at the camera.

This was my first photo shoot using studio lighting.
For the photos with the black backdrop I bounced one of my
Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-III into a silver umbrella and
set it behind, at a 135 degree angle from the camera to help with filling in the shadows
behind Joshua. I put the other Speedlite inside a Fotodiox softbox and set it to my right, at a 45
degree angle, just outside the camera's view. I thought this lighting set-up looked great with
the black backdrop.

However, with the white backdrop I just couldn't get the lighting to look natural.
I did the photo shoot in our front room in front of our large window.
The mid-afternoon lighting was so perfect that the natural light from the east-facing
window worked great with the white background.

I had a fun time getting to know handsome Joshua and his parents.












1 comment: