Monday, March 10, 2014

Photographing Weber State University Buildings

My husband Spencer asked me if I would take some photos of different
buildings at Weber State University. Spencer is in charge of all the student
computer labs on campus and he wanted a photo of each building that
the computer lab is located in to use as wallpaper for the computers.

Architecture photography is more work than I thought because in order to make
an interesting photograph it is important to decide how the building, in
terms of it's context, would best catch the audience's eye.
For example, I asked myself these questions: Should I photograph the building with it's natural
surroundings (use a wide-angle and a small aperture)
or would it make more sense to focus in on a certain detail of the
building (use my Canon 70-200mm and a middle to large aperture)?

For both circumstances the most helpful tools for photographing these buildings were
my tripod and a B+W Filter. The tripod was helpful for reducing camera shake
and allowed me to use a slow shutter speed that was necessary to compensate
for a low ISO (I shot at 100) and a small aperture (I shot between F-stop 18-22).
The filter helped to accentuate or diminish window reflection.

Anyway enough of the boring stuff, here are the photos.


    Elizabeth Hall, facing south

    Shepherd Union Building, facing south

    Wattis Business Building, facing north

    Shepherd Union Building, facing south

    Social Science Building, facing east

    Health Science Building, facing west











No comments:

Post a Comment